This page may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of our affiliate links, we'll earn a commission, at no extra cost to you.
Watering the garden plants in between busy schedules, changing weather conditions, travel, and other activities are pretty challenging. Irregular watering can result in wilting flowers and plants. Installing a drip irrigation kit can be an effective solution to this problem.
The best drip irrigation systems combine hoses, sprinklers, nozzles, and tubes that deliver a precise amount of water to every plant and prevent over or under-watering. Drip irrigation systems are easy to assemble and maintain. Read this article till the end to know more about the best drip irrigation system for your garden.
What is Drip Irrigation?
Drip irrigation is one of the most resourceful mechanisms for delivering water and nutrients to growing crops. It ensures that the nutrients reach directly to the plant in the appropriate amount at the right instant. Every plant in the garden gets the exact amount of water and nutrients for optimal growth. The adoption of drip irrigation techniques allows farmers to save on fertilizer, energy, water, and the use of insecticides. On a smaller scale, similar systems are effective for small gardens and plants.
Why Are More and More Gardeners Turning to Drip Irrigation?
Gardeners and farmers around the world are gradually turning to drip irrigation. This irrigation technique is known for offering higher efficiency in comparison to other methods of watering plants. Some of the noticeable benefits of drip irrigation include:
- It causes minimum waste of water. Drip irrigation eliminates evaporation and runoff, thereby no water is wasted.
- The quality of the yield improves and remains consistent.
- Drip irrigation systems make use of low-pressure devices which require minimal amounts of energy.
- Higher utilization of land resources. With drip irrigation, gardeners and farmers can irrigate uniformly in any place and soil type.
- Efficient use of insecticides and pesticides as there is no leaching.
- Farmers and gardeners are less dependent on weather, grated stability, and low risks.
Why is Drip Irrigation Suitable for All Types of Plants?
Like every other living organism, plants also prefer to get their nutrients and water consistently. With drip irrigation, plants get necessary nutrients and water frequently, but in small doses. It provides the highest yield as the plants have ideal growing conditions.
- The concentration of nutrients and water is tailored as per the requirement of the plant.
- Helps in the sufficient availability of fluids and nutrients to the plants.
- Soil does not get saturated and has sufficient aeration.
- Eliminate chances of high salinity due to excess use of fertilizers.
- The foliage around the crops remains dry and reduces the chances of fungal diseases.
Benefits of a Drip Irrigation System
Setting up a drip irrigation mechanism is very easy thanks to kits like the ones featured below. Currently, the market is flooded with options. However, not all of these products offer the same kind of quality and performance. This article provides a list of the top drip irrigation systems on sale to make things easy.
For more product reviews, please see:
- Reviews of the Best Weed Killers for Lawns
- Best Tripod Sprinkler for Watering Your Lawn
- The Best Liquid Fertilizers Reviewed
The Best Drip Irrigation Systems
1. Best Overall: Orbit 56318 Hanging Basket Flex Mist Kit
Our top recommendation is one of the most affordable offerings from Orbit. The Orbit 56318 is an easy-to-install drip irrigation system that would last for a long time.
- The kit comes with seven different parts that include all the necessary components of a drip irrigation system.
- Dedicated lines in the water basket prevent wastage of water and eliminate the hassle of manual watering.
- It comes with a programmable watering system to make the task a lot easier.
- The flexible piping helps in the precise placement of water, thereby reducing waste.
2. Best Value: Raindrip SDGCBHP Automatic Ground Cover & Flowerbed Kit
Raindrip is a leading manufacturer of irrigation products. With several years of experience in the business, they make some of the most durable irrigation systems. The attachments and tubing of the Raindrip SDGCBHP Automatic Ground Cover & Flowerbed Kit are of no match to any other similar product. It is indeed one of the best irrigation systems that one can buy currently.
- Rugged and flexible attachments, makes it fitting for a series of applications.
- Made using industry-grade materials to ensure hassle-free use and maintenance.
- A specially designed head can fit into all types of faucets and garden sprinklers.
- Chemical resistant materials prevent water contamination.
3. Budget-Friendly: Flantor Garden Irrigation System
Here is a unique garden irrigation system that’s perfect for gardens of all sizes and types. It comes with almost every feature necessary for an effective drip mechanism. Setting up and running this system is also very easy. The Flantor Garden Irrigation System is the perfect product for those looking for an affordable drip irrigation system for their garden.
- Suitable for different places like gardens, orchards, patios, and decks.
- The product comes with additional parts comprising nozzles, tubes, casts, etc.
- It is a very pocket-friendly drip irrigation kit that does its job perfectly.
- Made from high-quality materials which prevent any water loss.
This kit from Raindrip is one of the most innovative drip irrigation systems available on the market. The assembly process is very simple, and there’s nothing much to complain about. It saves around 70% of water usage every year.
- The product is made using low-density polyethylene to prevent germ infestation and water loss.
- The 3 step installation process is very easy, and the extra posts can be added wherever necessary. Maintenance of the kit is also hassle-free.
- The kit comes with all the components necessary for running the drip irrigation system.
- It comes with a 5-year manufacturer’s warranty, and the user does not have to worry about technical issues.
- Dedicated customer support helps users with every aspect of the irrigation system round the clock.
This drip irrigation kit provides water and nutrients to the plant and protects it from being damaged. It’s a budget-friendly product that is very easy to install and use.
The Orbit 69525 Micro Bubbler is a perfect kit for watering and protecting delicate plants. It makes for an ideal choice for places growing small delicate plants.
- It is an all-in-one drip irrigation system that’s very easy to install and use.
- It can save more than 70% of water in comparison to other drip irrigation systems.
- The kit features an extra micro bubblehead to prevent a direct splash of water on the plants.
- Flexible water tubes help spread the piping around trees, shrubs, and flower beds.
- The system can cover around 250 square feet, which is the size of an average garden.
This model from Rainbird is a perfect choice for people looking to buy a completely automatic and functional drip irrigation system at an affordable price. This innovative irrigation system from the house of rain Bird is exceptional in terms of performance. The cost of the product completely justifies its functionality and effectiveness.
- It comes with a rain curtain watering feature. Every part of the field gets a sufficient amount of water.
- The automatic timer works flawlessly for all types of fields and gardens. Set the timer according to the requirement. The system will work automatically, eliminating the hassle of manual watering. Sprinklers can be moved easily to prevent the trouble of attachment.
- The sprinklers retract back into the ground after use, leaving an uncluttered look in the garden.
This drip irrigation system is manufactured by Caveen. It’s a simple yet elegant system that’s built for purpose. This kit does not come with any fancy attachments. However, it does the job perfectly.
The system comprises ten different pieces, which are pretty easy to assemble. It is a perfect device for those looking for high efficiency in a short time. This drip irrigation system is most suitable for container-type gardens.
- It’s a highly versatile product and can be used in places like gardens, patios, decks, etc.
- It uses a simple mechanism that does not contain too many parts. Hence maintenance is easy.
- Made from highly durable materials that can last for a long time. The product is available with a manufacturer warranty.
How to Select a Suitable Drip Irrigation System?
Drip irrigation systems are not always suitable for all types of applications. Hence it’s essential to plan accordingly before purchasing a system. Following are some of the considerations that one needs to keep in mind.
Type of Soil
Drip irrigation systems deliver water only to the root section of the plants. Thus it’s only suitable for soil types that can readily absorb water.
Type of Plant
The type of plants one has in their garden also affects the choice of drip irrigation system. This method is suitable for foliage, shrubs, and small plants. For bigger plants, drip irrigation systems are not that effective.
Type of Water Flow
Drip irrigation kits feature different types of water flow mechanisms. Hence it’s crucial to understand the impact of each kind.
- Automatic- It is suitable for relatively larger areas that require frequent watering.
- Adjustable– It is suitable for gardens comprising different kinds of plants with varied water requirements. The adjustable nozzles are ideal for choosing how much water is necessary for a specific part of the garden.
- Dripper with the constant flow– These kinds of systems have a constant supply line for every plant in a garden. It is a highly efficient and cost-effective method for plants with small amounts of water requirements.
- Micro sprinkler– Micro sprinklers supply water to the plants in the form of light rain. This technique prevents plants from getting damaged due to the high pressure of the water.
Maintaining a Drip Irrigation System
- Take immediate action for replacing or fixing any worn-out parts.
- Perform constant inspection of the systems and their components like pipes and nozzles. Always ensure that the system is cleaned to ensure a continuous supply of water to the plants.
- Always invest in systems that are resistant to microbe infestation. One can also use commercial repellents to avert the growth of bacteria in the pipe.
- Always perform a deep clean before the arrival of the season to keep the system running properly.
- Rinse the emitters periodically as small amounts of clogs can cause long-term issues.
The best drip irrigation systems are low-maintenance systems. Flush the system periodically if the water flow is reduced, and the system will start working in no time. Homeowners can quickly perform simple fixes and repairs like fixing a broken hose. Drip irrigation systems help create a better garden space without much hassle or investment. Review the available products and the requirements before making a purchase.
YardReports.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.