This page may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of our affiliate links, we'll earn a commission, at no extra cost to you.
We all love cozy evenings or warmth on a cold night near a wood-burning fire pit. But can you put a fire pit on grass, or is that a safety hazard? Hanging out with your friends and family in this setup is an exciting and fun time! But is it safe? Do you worry that your lawn or plants might catch fire? Well, here are a few tips to ensure that you can enjoy your fire pit without compromising on safety.
How Can You Install a Fire Pit on Your Lawn?
How to install a fire pit on grass is a reasonable consideration. The floor surface under your fire pit can be damaged by the excessive heat generated by the fire if it’s placed straight on the grass. To restrict the grass under your fire pit from getting burnt, you must take specific measures to shield surfaces by insulating them from primary heat contact using a protective heat repellent barrier.
Most importantly, keep the fire pit far from any hanging trees, limbs, shrubs, cords, etc. When you’ve found an ideal spot, you can place your fire pit on the grass. To protect your lawn, it is advisable to use a fire pit mat. The mat protects the grass from the heat of the fire, and it also prevents embers from igniting unwanted fires.
Aside from using a mat, another is to dig and have a pit that is slightly below ground. Now, before you start to install your fire pit, just how far down should you dig it? Dig your fire pit not much more than 3/4 of your arm’s length. Why that deep? Because periodically, you’ll need to clean it out. Clear out the ashes, dust, and so on. With this habit, you do not need to get under to wash it out. You’ll still have the ability to reach to the base of it with your arm, as well as grab a frying pan.
What Are the Best Fire Pit Mats?
If you want to have your fire pit on grass, use any of these mats to protect your lawn from damage and maximize the safety of your backyard fire.
This product is made from aluminum foil, silica gel, and glass fiber cloth. It’s high-temperature resistant and tear-resistant. Resistant to temperatures up to 1800 °F, it reflects up to 95% of radiant heat away from sources.
You can eliminate the risk of burns and fire damage to your deck, patio, or grass. It is fit for most round fire pits: a perfect fit for 22inch- 36inch round fire pit and grill.
This round silver pad is thick and the perfect combination of heat absorption and deflection to protect the grass and wooden patio deck. That may appear contradictory to each other, but this works! To test, take several photos before placing the mat down on the grass. The mat will flatten out that section of the yard, but that is to be expected. You can then use the fire pit mat on the patio deck and there will be no heat or signs of heat on the wood stain finish.
Many people like that this pit holds the heat and does not let it through the bottom. If you have a stone patio, you may appreciate this product’s ability to stop heat from reaching the stones and turning black.
You should keep the shiny part up and the blue part touching the ground or whatever surface it is on. Plus, the poker is a great addition for turning the logs over or moving them in a fire pit, which helps to get more air to the fire and wood.
- ✔ EXCELLENT HEAT RESISTANCE … Our fire pit protective pad has a heat resistance rating of up to 1300°F and reflects up to 95% of radiant heat, staying cool to the touch.
- ✔ FIRE PIT BUNDLE … Our 36-inch fire pit mat is one of largest fire & heat-resistant mats around. Paired with a handy fire poker, so you stay at a safe distance from heat, embers or sparks.
- ✔ IDEAL PROTECTION … Avoid damage to your fire pit pad for deck, patio, or lawn. Protects against scorching, deformation, stains, and more. Also a great under grill mat!
- ✔ HANDY POKER INCLUDED … The 26-inch fire poker keeps you a safe distance from the blazing heat and flying sparks while you enjoy your fire pit or BBQ grill.
- ✔ NO RISK GUARANTEE … We know you will love your Eleon bundle and we stand by it 100%. If you are not satisfied, return it for a refund, no questions asked.
The Ember Mat is intended to stop leaping embers or dripping grease from damaging the area around your fire pit or barbecue. This mat features a Food-grade silicone coating.
It also features high contemplative edging for visibility at night, with 8 stainless steel edge grommets enabling the mat to be staked to the ground in breezy conditions.
Warning: This mat does not stop heat transfer to the ground surface when used with fire pits with less than 10-inches of airspace between the mat and the fire pit’s bottom. Always Use A Heat Shield Such As Pavers When Burning On Grass or Heat Sensitive Decking
Meets all USFS & BLM fire blanket regulations, plus the manufacturer offers a one-year limited warranty.
- The Ember Mat is designed to stop popping embers or dripping grease from damaging the area around your fire pit or grill.
- Food-Grade Silicone Coating ensures the Ember Mat won't cause itching when handled and won't get fibers into your food in the event of a runaway hot dog
- High reflective edging for visibility at night - 8 stainless steel edge grommets allow the mat to be staked to the ground in windy conditions
- WARNING: Extinguish any fallen or burning ember within 30-Minuntes of landing on the Ember Mat. The Ember Mat will not stop heat transfer to the ground surface when used with fire pits with less than 10-inches of airspace between the mat and the bottom of the fire pit. Always Use A Heat Shield Such As Pavers When Burning On Grass or Heat Sensitive Decking.
- Meets all USFS & BLM fire blanket regulations - 1 Year Limited Warranty
This fire pit mat is durable, thick, sturdy, heat-resistant, portable, comfortable, and effortless to clean. Their fire pit mats are an absolute must under your fire pit! It’s made of heat-resistant material. This 3-layered fire pit mat will withstand temperatures up to 1300 °F, absorb heat, and maintain a lower temperature due to the heat-reflective outer layer. You can use both red and silver sides to face up or down. When the red side is faced up, its thick silicone can resist burning embers. When a silver side is faced up, it gives you a better look and higher heat reflection!
- ✓ 39" x 39" Durable, sturdy, thick, heat-resistant, portable, convenient, and easy to clean, our fire pit mats for under fire pit are an absolute must under your fire pit
- ✓Made of heat-resistant material, this 3-layered fire pit mat will not only withstand the temperature of 1300F but also will absorb heat and maintain at lower temperature due to the heat-reflective outer layer
- ✓ Be it wood deck, patio, floor, or grass, use the fire mat wherever you want, and enjoy your barbecue worry-free, as it will protect the surface from burns and marks
- ✓ We made sure your lawn's grass or any surface remains clean and safe from any damage. The large size of this fire pit mat for grass will ensure the dripping grease, popping embers and sparks fall off on it only
- ✓ Both Red and Silver side can be used to face up or down, when red side is faced up, it's thick silicone can resist burning embers. When silver side is faced up, it give you a better look and higher heat reflection
The shiny/reflective side of this deck protector should be up. The aluminized fiberglass layer reflects the heat and protects your patio. This fire pit pad is not recommended for a solo stove without a stand. You need to keep the bottom of the heat source at least 4″ away from this fire pit mat.
This fire mat is water-resistant so that you can remove the stains easily with a wet towel.
Whether you have a wood-burning fire pit with a grill, a copper bowl fire pit, portable propane outside fire pit, or a natural gas fire pit, this fireproof mat is here to keep you protected. But to accomplish the best results, all four legs of the fire pit should be on the mat. If you find this mat’s 24-inch diameter to be a tight squeeze, you can choose the products’ 36-inch fireproof mat variation, which will be appropriate for more fire pits.
- ENJOY YOUR FIRE PIT WITHOUT WORRIES - The warmth emanating from the fire pit or fireplace gives both comfort and joy but the cozy atmosphere can immediately turn hazardous when the heat from fire pits can cause the grass to wither and other surfaces to incur damage. Don't wait for the worst-case scenario to happen. Keep safe with a simple fireproof mat solution for your portable fire pits.
- HEAT SHIELD FOR ALL SURFACES - Provide a safety heat barrier for your indoor or outdoor fire pits. This fireproof mat works on any surface whether it be bare ground, grass, sand, concrete, wood, and composite materials. Heat damage may not be obvious to several surfaces but with constant use, fire pits can cause irreparable damage to decking and flooring.
- ROUND FIREPROOF MAT FITS MOST PORTABLE FIRE PITS - Whether you have a wood-burning fire pit with grill, a copper bowl fire pit, a portable propane outdoor fire pit, or a natural gas fire pit, this fireproof mat is here to keep you safe. But in order to achieve the best results, all four legs of the fire pit should be on the mat. If you find this mat's 24-inch diameter to be a tight squeeze, you can choose our 36-inch fireproof mat variation.
- MADE OF FIRE RETARDANT MATERIAL - This fireproof mat can withstand temperatures of up to 1300°F - way over the maximum heat that portable fire pits can produce! And don't worry about the mat absorbing the heat, it will remain at body temperature as it can reflect up to 95% of the radiant heat. Not only that, this fireproof mat provides double protection! Both sides of the mat have aluminized surfaces for better insulation. It's just like you buying 2 mats for the price of one!
- CAUTION: This fireproof mat is not suitable for use on fire pits or stoves that have heating sources that will be in direct contact with the mat's surface. The fireproof mat should be at least 1 inch from the heat source. Direct contact will negate the mat's effectiveness.
The KINGXBAR ember mat is made of a flame-retardant and fire-resistant food-grade silicone layer. Whether your surface is wood, composite, gravel, cement, or grass, this fire pit will guard the surface from burns, heat damage, heat deformation, grease spills, cement smudges, and more. The grill mat can easily be washed in the washing machine or vacuumed. You can reuse the grill mat over=and-over again thanks to durable materials and construction. The body is compact enough with highly anti-wear, anti-tear, oil-and water-resistant reviews.
- Premium Material - KINGXBAR ember mat is made of flame retardant and fire-resistant food-grade silicone coating. Whether your surface is wood, composite, stone, concrete or grass, our fire mat will protect your patio surface from burns, heat damage, heat deformation, grease spills, cement stains and more.
- Visible at Night - Decorated with 4 reflective strips, KINGXBAR grill mat not only protect your deck, terrace, lawn or campground from embers in the daytime, but also promote security with high reflective edging for visibility at nigh. It will make you more visible in darknesss. If you have the hobby of barbecue at night, this Ground Ember Mat will be your better choice.
- Washable and Reusable - The grill mat can be easily cleaned by washing machine, hand wash or vacuum. The grill mat can be reused for many times. The material is compact enough with highly anti-wear, anti- tear, oil-and water-resistant performance.
- With A Storage Bag - There are multiple rings on the side of the barbecue mat, you can be placed on the terrace or the floor and fixed with a rope or hung on the wall. Or fold it into our storage bag which is large enough to hold the gas grill mat, it is convenient for storage and carrying in outdoor camping. Perfect for people who are on the move!
- Warning - This Fire Pit Mat Deck Protection will not stop heat from transferring to sensitive surfaces like grass or wood decks. The fire pit with legs should at least 10-inches of airspace to reflect the heat.Once the charcoal falls into the mat, we need to remove it to prevent baking the deck or grass from the residual heat. Please make sure your fire pit has a heat shield or use heat absorbing material such as bricks or pavers.
Can You Put a Fire Pit on Grass? Final Thoughts
We hope that our reviews and suggestions have helped you choose the best fire pit mat there is for the most-awaited BBQs with your family and neighbors. Additionally, you should now have an answer to the question “Can you put a fire pit on grass?” Stay alert and safe while installing these fire pit mats because they must be used correctly in order to be effective.
YardReports.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.